- Check in on Weekly Authentic Blog Posts.
This week you will be constructing your own position paper on who gets to own ideas. You are going to create a solution for our own projects (utopias and -Isms) that will allow some intellectual rights to be preserved in a traditional sense (no one can copy your ideas), and other rights to be changed to allow remix culture to take over (people can work with your premises to create something new). In order to start this writing piece off right, I would like you to do a little bit of internal research to see what you know and think about copyrighting ideas. Create the following diagram on a piece of paper to show your opinions of what should and should not be allowed of the following remixing or mashup situations:
Isn’t Illegal Is Illegal
Should be Illegal
Shouldn’t be Illegal
- Creating a collage using a famous piece of art and some of your own drawings.
- Hacking someone’s computer game and making it better then selling it.
- Taking someone’s direct quote from a book without citing it.
- Taking someone’s ideas from a book and listing them as one of your biggest influences in the bio.
- Using two pieces of different music to make a new one.
- Creating a replica of a building in Google Sketch-up.
- Creating a parody of the latest blockbuster film and putting it up on YouTube.
- Typing out a chapter of someone’s book and putting links to pictures of all of the places it mentions.
- Taking the beat or melody of a famous song and looping it to create something new to sing or rap over, without asking for permission to use the sample.
- Using a well known movie clip, and dubbing you and your friends making up funny, rude comments over top of it so that it looks like they are saying what you want them to.
Discuss each situation.
Lets take a look at a few definitions and real life situation.
- Discuss Digital Educator Technology Toolkit proposals.
- What does it mean to be an outsider?
- Who are the insiders?
- What kind of outsider are you?
- Why do we identify more with outsiders?
- Discuss Digital Eucator Technology Toolkit proposals.
- Where is the best place to get ideas for our Utopias?
- Go through the process of selecting a Utopian/Dystopian novel that you think will have a great effect on your Utopian ideas.