- Write-On: Why are beliefs powerful?
- Discuss and view Belief Statement Essays as genre:
- Explore essays and talk about what makes a belief statement important.
- Write-On: What is your initial reaction when you are attacked (verbally, physically, emotionally)? What is the country’s first reaction when it is attacked? Why?
- Read “Entire City Put on War Footing”.
- How have we changed from this time period? How have our traditions of xenophobia stayed the same?
- Go over definitions for Vocabulary Unit 2.
- Have students draw a picture next to each word to help them remember the definitions.
- Play Vocabulary Basketball with students so as to solidify definitions, synonyms, antonyms, parts of speech, and contextual meaning.
- Write-On: How can music persuade you to feel a certain emotion. Describe the process by which music can change mood.
- Listen (do not watch) to Shawshank Redemption music and describe the images that you think go along with this music.
- View the images and compare to your predictions.
- Read the Pied Piper of Hamelin and discuss musical persuasion.