This podcast is pretty heavy:
I was in Osawatomie, KS for the 4th of July. It flooded earlier in the week, and my sister-in-law lost her car and her apartment due to this natural disaster. This event really got me thinking about how we can use the technology that our schools provide (especially in 1:1 programs) in order to create social networks for a community. I hope that we can start putting together ideas like Steve Hargadon’s Public Web Stations (link below) in non-crisis times. If you have any ideas about how to do this, please shoot me an e-mail at email@example.com
I am also interested in knowing if you would rather I don’t include links and pictures with my podcast, but rather simply upload the mp3 file. If you have an opinion either way, please post a comment on this podcast.
- 00:00:00: Intro to Osawatomie Flooding
- 00:02:12: Supporting the people of Osawatomie
News Article and Support Links
- 00:03:02: The 1:1 Social Network
The Osawatomie 1:1 Initiative
- 00:06:24: The New School Community Center
- 00:07:51: Steve Hargadon’s Public Web Stations
Public Web Stations
- 00:09:53: Bridging Social Networks and Analog Communities
- 00:12:15: How do we use tech in our schools to benefit the community?