I keep coming back to this blog post and trying to come up with the next set of statements that allow us to move forward from the Church of the Right Answer. Here is what I’ve got so far:
- Trust is to be built, not leveraged.
- Copying and remixing are survival skills.
- Learning is both an end and a means.
- Communicating effectively is the purpose of writing and speaking. Communicating grammatically is not.
- Pushing the button before you know what it does is the best way to find out what it does.
Like my students, I have good days and bad. They and I are jostled by the same storms, pulled by the same tides. Sometimes I scold them for worshipping at the Church of the Right Answer, and sometimes I play back the tape and discover that I’ve been preaching its sermons myself. I try to track the harm and the good that I do in the classroom, measure the one against the other. It isn’t easy. There are no right answers.